Saturday, February 18, 2012

Lemon..Lemon..Yellow..Yellow...



I love lemon flavor....not eating them directly *shudder* but a nice tart lemon flavor is tasty to me.  This year we have an abundance of lemons on our lemon tree, since we pruned the heck out of it last year it went wild and produced a ton of lemons.  Problem is what to do with them all...I'd love to have lemons year round, so I've been searching for different ways to keep the lemons to be able to use them aside from squeezing them and freezing the juice.  In my search I came across a tasty lemon crinkle cookie recipe from Whipperberry.com  that I baked today.  I must tell you they are very easy to make and very delicious. I added extra lemon juice and zest and I traded a cup of regular flour for whole wheat flour after I had doubled the recipe. Unfortunately, they did nothing to put a dent in my bumper crop of lemons.  I did come across some interesting recipes...Preserved lemons anyone? Over at Foodgal.com she tells you all about them which in itself turns out to be somewhat of a science experiment. While there I also discovered Lemon Marmalade (YUM!).  Not sure about the perserved lemons though I am tempted to do at least 1 jar.  I'll be sure to let you know if I do preserve some.

3 comments:

  1. I have a ton of lemons and oranges from my trees. At Christmas I made a lemon poke cake. I'm going to try it again baked in a loaf pan so its more like the slices of lemon cake you buy at Starbucks. An orange recipe will be next when I find one I like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I wish I had a lemon tree! If I lived closer, I would be right over for some lemons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM. Still trying to get that delish Lemoncello
    recipe. I asked again so....
    hope it is not too late for that.

    ReplyDelete