Monday, January 11, 2010

Closed Captions Suck!


I came across this site on an art friend's blog and wanted to share something about myself. I have hearing loss to the point that I have to use closed captions to watch TV. Its not a lot but enough that If I don't use closed captions I spend a lot of time trying to figure out what people are saying and miss things. Its a specific range I have a hard time hearing and understanding. The ironic thing is that I use to be a Relay Operator for the deaf and hard of hearing (don't get me started on how rude the business world is to deaf people!). What many of you probably don't realize is how awful the close captions are and how limited they are. I can't tell you how many movies we've rented that didn't even offer closed captioning. If you don't have to use CC then you, I'm sure are very unaware of this. Now imagine being fully deaf and trying to watch the news or certain channels and its not even offered OR when it is offered its the wrong wording or very poor quality. What I didn't know is that there are no standards for CC. Click HERE to visit the Closed Caption's Suck website to learn more about this, and then click HERE to see how you can help. Even if you aren't deaf or hard of hearing you may be some da or you may know someone that is. The next time you watch TV try muting the sound and imagine yourself deaf....


Visit my
Zazzle Store &
view my newest additions!


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for addressing this - I have to use CC also, and find this a very frustrating area. The worst for me is when the captions are so far behind the dialogue; so confusing! People have no idea...
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hearing loss is in our family too, and I agree- sometimes the words are so late, and so wrong, it's like an entire different movie! They should be ashamed! With all the CG stuff they do today, surely it can't be THAT hard of an issue to address!

    ReplyDelete