Thursday, December 10, 2009

Julie & Julia & Aileen

This morning seemed like the perfect time to take a morning off and watch the movie Julie & Julia. I figured the rest of my family wouldn't be interested in watching the movie. I had to chuckle because It wasn't too long before one of my sons got caught up in watching it with me before he had to leave for class. What a wonderful sweet movie, I highly recommend it. Not only did I enjoy the movie, but it inspired me to cook!

julieandjulia

I ended up making Gingerbread & White Chocolate Biscotti (to give out as Christmas gifts), a Pot Roast in the crock pot (for dinner) and a pineapple upside down cake (for dinner).

Here's the recipe for the biscotti with some my own changes added to it. I think orange zest would be a great addition too. They're very easy to make.

Gingerbread & White Chocolate Biscotti

Ingredients

  • 3/4 C. granulated sugar
  • 1/4 lb. butter
  • 1/2 C. dark molasses
  • 1/4 C. fresh, minced ginger
  • tsp. vanilla
  • 3 eggs
  • 3 C. all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 Tbs. baking powder
  • 1 Tbs. ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
  • 1 tsp. instant coffee *optional
  • 3/4 C. of raisins
  • In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat sugar, butter, molasses, and ginger until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Using another bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves & instant coffee. Add to wet mixture and stir to blend.

    On baking sheets lined with parchment paper, using floured hands, pat the dough into 2 flat loaves, spacing them evenly on sheet. Bake in a 350 degree oven until just browned at edges and springy to touch, about 25 minutes. Halfway through the baking turn the pans so they bake evenly. Allow biscotti to set until just cooled, then cut into long, 1/2-inch thick diagonal slices.

    Loafs before baking

    biscotti1

    Loafs cooling on rack after baking.

    biscotti2

    Slice each loaf on a diagonal and arrange the slices close together on the baking sheet and bake again at 350 degrees until browned, 15-18 minutes. Transfer to racks to cool completely before dipping in white chocolate.

    biscotti3

    Melt white chocolate in the microwave (follow directions on the package), then dip one end of the cooled biscotti into the melted chocolate and allow it to harden on baking paper.

    biscotti5

    biscottifin

    Grab a cup of coffee--dip, sip and eat or package them up and give them to friends with the recipe.

    Click HERE to view my past Christmas recipes!

    Bon Appetite!

    5 comments:

    1. Since we are meeting for lunch tomorrow, I'd love some of that biscotti.....of course I am only suggesting that you bring me some. It really is not a demand. Just that I know how much I love biscotti and all...and how great it would be if you brought some...how it would REALLY MAKE MY DAY, but you know I will be fine if you don't bring any... No worries, I won't think about it all night or anything, hoping and praying...I won't do that at all...I just like biscotti a lot, especially dipped and all. I mean afterall I don't bake really as you know....Just a thought....just sayin....

      ReplyDelete
    2. Wow, you're making Kris beg for biscotti! Please bring the girl some! ROFL Looks wonderful!

      ReplyDelete
    3. YUM-EEEE! I love Biscotti! How lucky those recipients will be! (It wouldn't last long enough to give at my house!

      Thanks for sharing your secrets! (And I loved Julie & Julia too!)

      Funny- I didn't get inspired to cook though...

      ReplyDelete