Monday, April 14, 2008

Adventures from Asilomar #2

The weather today was a lot cooler and towards evening windy, but still the sun came and was pleasant. I had a class today with Sally Jean the Solder Queen! She’s not only a wonderful teacher, stays on task, is clear with her directions, explains things well, keeps things moving along, but she is also a sweetie! I’ve soldered before and sometimes I have good results and other times not so good, so I was really hoping to pick up some tricks and tips which I am thrilled to day I did! We learned how to make some fun charms with buttons, stones and baubles sandwiched in-between glass as well as how to solder back to back flat glass pebbles and even how to solder a round ceramic marbles with small stripes. I was finally “getting my groove on” as sally Jean likes to say when it was time to clean up, the day flew by!

Everyone here is so friendly, I haven’t met a stranger yet! It seems much more relaxed and laid back here then at Art & Soul Portland. I think because we all eat together and not as many are going off in all different directions. I’ve meet some of the nicest people some new some I’ve only known online, but I was finally able to put a face with the name J
I’m sitting in the social hall with the big fireplace going people playing ping pong, pool and every so often someone comes along and sits down to play their beautiful oak grand piano. This is where the wireless is so there’s lots of tapping of keyboards as well LOL

I’ll post a picture of a few of my goodies I made today....just don’t look too closely at the soldering I hadn’t quite gotten my groove on yet LOL


8 comments:

  1. What a beautiful looking place! I enjoyed both your postings and I think your soldering looks great!

    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've loved seeing your pictures of Asilomar and what you made. The place has a nice lodge feel to it and not as rustic as I'd thought originally. Looks and sounds like a great time! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aileen, thank you so much for taking the time to share your adventures with us! Your descriptions and photos make me almost feel like I was there myself. I love the pieces that you created and I am so glad you were able to take Sally Jean's class! Good luck on your vendor endeavors and continue to have fun and please keep sharing!
    hugs,
    jackie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aileen, I can tell you are having a wonderful time...artistically, and socially and I am enjoying the fabulous photos and comments you are posting about your adventures....I want to learn to solder....I am green and purple and maybe a tad orange with envy...LOL...that fireplace setting and group room sounds so comfy and cozy...all that is missing are the cabana boys...or are they? (wink)
    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am really enjoying your account of the retreat! Please keep it coming--Love what you did with Miss Sally Jean!
    Have fun!
    brenda

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like you a wonderful day! Sally Jean's classes are fun, aren't they? I think your soldering looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this place is beautiful!!!! My DH was there for a convention many years ago & he loved it! I can see that you're loving it too!!!
    What fun to take a class with Sally Jean...I'm turning all colors of envy too...or was that just a Color Mist explosion...hehehe!!!
    Thanks for posting all of this!
    hugs,
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you had a wonderful time at Asilomar. Beautiful photo's. What a great place to create art.

    ReplyDelete