Sunday, January 07, 2007

Lasting Imprints

Here's another piece I did for this weeks Artwords the word of the week is Graffiti...this is a piece that I had already started but wasn't sure what to do with it after I reached a certain point...I have lots of pieces like this, so I usually set them aside where I can see them and then when an idea springs to mind I finish it....this keeps me from being frustrated and allows me to work on several things at one time. On a side note this piece was created using deli paper, my Color Mists, Sailor Pens and glazes.

I named this piece Imprints on my Soul because once I really looked at the words and images in the depths of it, I started wondering what type of imprints have been left on me and what imprints will I leave in my art, my life, my kids those I meet. We grow, we change and our life's experiences leave imprints on each of us and helps form who we are. In a way imprints are like Graffiti...

See the definition of Imprint from the dictionary:

im·print (ĭm-prĭnt') Pronunciation Key tr.v. im·print·ed, im·print·ing, im·prints
To produce (a mark or pattern) on a surface by pressure.
To produce a mark on (a surface) by pressure.
To impart a strong or vivid impression of: "We imprint our own ideas onto acts" (Ellen Goodman).
To fix firmly, as in the mind: He tried to imprint the number on his memory.
To modify (a gene) by chemical means. n. (ĭm'prĭnt')
A mark or pattern produced by imprinting. See Synonyms at impression.
A distinguishing influence or effect: Spanish architecture that shows the imprint of Islamic rule.

What kind of imprint do you want to leave behind?
(click to enlarge)



1 comment:

  1. I think this is a fabulous piece, Aileen! You know I love those wild colors, but all the layers and thought-provoking words make this very powerful. Great journal piece!

    ReplyDelete