Sunday, May 08, 2005

Happy Mother's Day!

I know its been way to long since I've found myself in here once again, my apologies.

I had a rant I was going to talk about but since it's Mother's Day I thought perhaps I'd leave that rant alone for now since I find myself thinking more about the inspiration in my life. The person that truly shaped who and what I am and who is no longer here physically, my mother Pat.

It has been a long winding road since she passed away in 97. A road for a long time that only seemed to be filled with pain. I know every one thinks their mother is special and she is. There are some people though that truly have an effect on most every person they meet and that person was my mother. I had always known she wasn't like other kids mom's on the block and I noticed, but I don't think I truly appreciated it until I had kids of my own and then really understood the extent of it until after she was gone. She was not only a mother she was a teacher in all aspects of her life, a sharer of knowledge or experiences and a ball of energy ready to light you on fire with her ideas.

Its because of her that I can see the world through creative colored glasses. I of course wish she were here physically to share my creative metamorphous I've experienced through these past 8 years, yet I do know she is here spiritually. I can feel her smiling while I create and it makes me smile and inspires me on.

For years she was a teacher. She taught high school art unlike any art class I've ever come across since and later in her years she was a resident substitute teacher, teaching almost every day. She was still effecting lives, kids marveled at the fact that she always remembered or knew their names. Even now I meet past students or friends that remember her and talk about the effect that she had on their life. When I was younger I use to feel like I had a mother that wasn't truly all mine or my siblings that we had to share her with everyone else. I didn't understand that as a child but I did come to understand and appreciate it as an adult.

Some days I feel like I learned the most from my mother through these past 8 years of her being gone. That saying we hear so often "Gone but not forgotten" is definitely true! Mom you are definitely not forgotten and I miss your presence each and every day and I am sure that where ever you are you are still effecting people's lives by having met you, I love you mom!

A few years ago I started a altered book in dedication of my mother it was a painful but theraputic step starting it, I've yet to finish it though here it is:
http://www.outsidethemargins.com/abmom.html

Give your mother a hug and tell her you love her not just today but every day! :-)

2 comments:

  1. What a loving tribute to your mother, Aileen. I know how much you miss her and I know how proud she would be of your artistic endeavors and your family. Enjoy your special day. I hope all those fellas are pampering you!
    hugs, Flaurella

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely! I wish I could still hug my mother, or my grandmother. It's been 37 years since I lost Mom (I was only ten) and I still miss her. Her mother, my grandmother, became a lot like a mother to me until she passed on two years ago, and I miss her terribly.

    So, what you said! If you still have your mom, HUG HER!!

    ReplyDelete