Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The Artists Muse: Unlock the Door to Your Creativity

I highly recommend the following book I recently bought. It's titled:

The Artists Muse: Unlock the Door to Your Creativity
by Besty Dillard
Book and Card Kit



If your looking for something different to spark your creative energy this book is for you. It's not an eye candy book and more then just a technique book it's a kit that gives you exercises to unleash your creativity! Not only do you get a book, but it also comes with 3 decks of cards to jump start your muse. The cards are meant to be used as a game. You may select one, two or three cards to create a painting. Choose a rectangular card from the DOORS OF AWARENESS deck for subject suggestions. A circular Card from the CIRCLES OF GROWTH deck will offer ideas on color. To really challenge yourself, draw a square card from the WINDOWS OF OPPORTUNITY deck to find a new technique or approach that will force you to think in new ways. This game can be as simple or as complicated as you make it. The ideas in the book and exercises from the cards can easily be applied to other mediums such as fabric or paper. From the beginner to the advanced artist this book will get you creating.

I really enjoy just drawing a card or two from the decks and once I start the idea that's given it spurs me on from there. I find many times that I create better when I have a focus or reason to create a piece then when I don't, so I've found this book and card set to be a useful tool for me.

Below are scans of the decks of cards:


Here you should be able to read what each card says:


Here's a sample page from the book:

1 comment:

  1. You’ve been tagged…Please visit this post for more details

    http://alteredbyme.blogspot.com/2007/08/ive-been-tagged.html

    ReplyDelete