Tuesday, December 16, 2008

These are a few of my favorite things...

These are a few of my favorite things at Christmas...

santa

Wood Carved Santa my son carved and painted for me when he was 10 or 11 (he's now 16). He also made me a couple of smaller wood Santas as well and they are some of my favorite decorations at Christmas time.

sun1 sun2

My sun ornament is one of my most treasured ornaments. I received it the same Christmas my mother passed away and it always reminds me of the last time I spent with her.

cookiecutters

The Tools of Christmas!

Another favorite is my drawer full of cookie cutters! I love making cut out sugar cookies for the holidays. Its a tradition I've had with my kids since they were toddlers. I have the best recipe for sugar cookies, one you can mix and make right away no waiting to refrigerate them.

No Refrigerate Sugar Cookies

  • 1 Cup of Butter (Room Temp)
  • 1 Cup of Granulated Sugar
  • 1 Egg
  • 1 Tsp Vanilla
  • 1 Tsp of Orange Extract
  • 1 Tsp of Baking Powder
  • 3 Cups of Flour

Cream to together the first 5 ingredients. Mix the Baking powder with the Flour thoughly. Slowly add the flour to the creamed butter and sugar mixture (I use an electric hand mixer). Squeeze together a ball of dough, sprinkle out some flour on a smooth surface and roll out the dough and cut out with cookie cutters. Bake at 325 to 350 for about 8 min's.

My family loves these cookies and I usually end up making a double batch.

I was going to make a batch today but as luck would have it I was out of eggs so I'm hoping to make some tomorrow.

ENJOY!

PS: You can click HERE to view my baked and frosted cookie post.

2 comments:

  1. I'll have to give your sugar cookie recipe a try. I finally found an acceptable royal icing recipe with the powdered egg whites, but my cookies are just average. I enjoyed the 12 Days of Christmas video. I once gave someone a pop-up book of cut outs like these. Your bog is a fun place to visit to enjoy the Christmas spirit.

    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always thought sugar cookies were rather dry and tasteless. I can't wait to try yours. Thank you so much for sharing your favorite recipie.

    ReplyDelete