11"x 14" canvas
This piece started out in a completely different direction, in fact it started out to look nothing like this! It began as something whimsical and it just wasn't working, so I covered over the background and paper and images completely with paints, glazes and some deli paper misted with Color Mists in hues of copper and browns I then stamped with gesso (The paper actually felt like leather after I applied it with gel medium). It still was missing something, so I added more papers, layer by layer! I struggled and struggled with this piece nothing seemed to come together easily and after adding the image of the woman and her headdress from a large sunflower cut up it sat hanging in my studio staring at me for over a year. I was waiting for just the right piece I felt it needed over the headdress. I wasn't sure what it would be, but I was sure I would know "it" when I saw it...at least I hoped! So when hubby gave me the pile of metal fixtures I got excited when I saw two pieces in the pile I thought would work... sure enough they did! I also added brass corners from the pile as well. I stacked the two drawer fixtures cutting and bending the top one so it would sit a top the bottom one and give the crown more depth. I antiqued them with Modern Options Patinas and then went over that with some chalk inks and some brown varnish.
The moral of this story is...if you don't like what you end up with don't give up just cover over it. I'm happy I was able to see this piece come to fruition and didn't get frustrated and toss it...trust me I was tempted!
Here's a close up of the fixtures and if you click the link below you can see what they began as: